How To Make Your Own Pick

|

So you play guitar. And you use picks. But you always seem to lose them. So you end up strumming bare hand. It's frustrating because the sound seems wrapped up on your thumb and is muffled.

So what do you do?

Make your own picks of course!

Okay, before I begin, let me make this clear that I do not lose my picks often because I'm that careful. I didn't even want extra home made picks which I find pretty ugly. But dad dropped these pieces of plastics on my desk and insisted that I make my own picks because he says it sounds better than the ones I got from the store. Hence my tutorial today.

Step One

Find some plastics that are not too hard that make them impossible to cut through. An ideal one would be some soft plastics like the one from your file. I have no idea where dad got this from so I'll leave the material hunt to you.

Step Two

Get a standard size pick and trace it on the plastic. Use ink pen since it is easier to draw on and easy to rub off without leaving a trace.



Step Three

Cut the plastic along the traced line. This is the difficult part so make sure you use a good pair of scissors.


Step Four

Admire your piece of work. And design it for God's sake because it's so damn ugly.

Still ugly...

Step Five

Test drive. Strum it on your guitar and feel its pressure on the strings. Sounds good? You're done!


The pick that I made sounds surprisingly good on my guitar. I guess dad's right. It is actually better than commercial picks. But just look at the edges. I think I can cut myself playing with that thing. But at least I won't be buying picks for a while.

0 comments: